Panenská Street was originally a street of Bratislava´s craftsmen and winegrowers. It was founded in the middle Ages on the then property of the female holy order of Poor Clares holy order. The space was then called Nunnenpewnt. In 1879, it was renamed the Matej Bel Street, after a well-known geographer and historian who was the principal of the nearby Evangelical Lyceum.
The name Panenská Street originated after the First World War.
Today’s Panenská Street was still insignificant in the 16th century, but its importance increased rapidly in the 1770s of the 17th century, when the Evangelical church centre of the Evangelicals was moved here from the inner city.
The important cultural centre of the Evangelicals is still reminiscent evoked by two evangelical churches, which were built in the second half of the 18th century.
Panenská Street has a long history as in the past, this street was subject of an intensive social life. Many houses in the current Panenská Street have the character of aristocratic palaces. The majority of houses preserved from the old build-up area are houses from the baroque or classicism periods, such as the building of the company BORA GROUP, s.r.o. in the current Panenská Street 13.